Saturday 9 August 2014

Weekend Jam: The Bangles - Be With You

I had heard songs like Eternal Flame or Walk Like An Egyptian before but it really wasn't until Gilmore Girls that I really realised there was this band called The Bangles. And suddenly I was in love. And when I'm in love, I'm obsessed. I wanted to know everything there was to know. I wanted to hear every song there was to hear and see every picture and watch video there was to see or watch. The latter was quite easily done: there barely weren't any. It was the time before YouTube but from the band's official site you could see all the music videos and maybe some live ones, too. The quality wasn't too good, mostly very grainy and the biggest size option was about the same as the small video below.

But I watched them religiously. I loved them together and individually. Vicki Peterson played the guitar so well and I thought it was the best that she had her sister Debbi Peterson in the same band. I thought Michael Steele was definitely the coolest and Susanna Hoffs gave me feels that weren't entirely heterosexual. I remember thinking that when watching this video for one of my favourite songs, Be With You. The lead is sung by Debbi which leaves a lot of time for the ones in the front to give their all. And they really do: they're wild. Check out Susanna doing splits while playing the guitar around 0:54 an the glaces she gives at the camera in the end. Thank you Susanna for helping me figure these things out. And thanks to this entire band for being an inspiration to my own playing.

 
Be With You from 1988.

No comments:

Post a Comment